We are so excited about our first box going out!
We decided that fun springtime pillowcases were in order, so we took the best of all of our spring collections in the shop and came up with 5 lovely selections from Adalee’s Garden, Bunny Garden and Garden Days.
You won’t know which one you get until you open the box!
PLUS a new Olfa Splash quick change blade Rotary cutter and springtime Wonder Clips a pattern to make the pillowcase with no exposed seams is included too!
1. You will want to press the accent piece (trimmed to 3 inches) in half with right sides together. Place it with cut edge along one of the cut edges of the main piece(right side up. Place one raw edge of the cuff fabric, wrong side down on top of both.
2. Use wonder clips to keep all of the raw edges together
3. Roll up the main body of the pillow case…
4. All the way as far as you can up to the clips…
5. Now, fold the other raw edge of the pillowcase cuff even with the other raw edges and reposition the clips so all raw edges are even.
6. Take to the sewing machine and sew everything together, I like to do an exaggerated quarter inch seam to be sure.
7. Pull the pillowcase out through one of the ends!
8. Press from the wrong side to get the edges straight without excess “tucks”
9. Then press from the front side
10. Fold WRONG sides together and trim off all selvage edges.
11. Now if you have a Bernina – get out the #23 Applique Foot – or a similar foot your brand of machine.
12. Set your machine length to 1.0 and width to 3.5 regular zig zag
13. Sew along the very edge with the narrow zig zag – this foot has a groove on the bottom that keeps it right on the edge for you REMEMBER wrong sides together
It should look something like this:
14. Now turn and press with RIGHT sides together
15. Move your needle position all the way over to the left – change to a regular straight stitch.
Put the “zig zag” part (kind of looks like piping) stitch down the entire side.
16. Now repeat the same process for the top edge of the pillow.
17. Turn and press! Presto, done and not a single raw edge
This was the May Quilt & Sew Box to Go – wait till you see what we have in store for JUNE! Click here to sign up – just $20/month!
Twas the night before Friday and all through the studio there is a flurry of activity as I clear my table in anticipation of the second clue. I wonder what it might be this week. The cheery red and white four patches remind me of peppermints and Christmas. The coffee is set and my clothes laid out. I am an early riser by nature and I wake early to begin checking my phone for the next clue.
It seems the world over is urging Bonnie to wake and to post the next clue…this is a testament to the positive power she has near and far...even across the water to Australia.
It’s Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt time and the theme is Good Fortune! What a lovely sentiment….good fortune. I have had the Good Fortune to be surrounded by friends and family both far and near and although the mystery is a special blessing for those whose families are scattered or gone for me it is a Blessing and a time for renewal and reflection.
This is the fourth mystery quilt I have chosen to create in the last 5 years. I took one year off and there are parts of me that still regret that decision. However, my design wall clearly called my name and asked that I finish a few of my own projects…..I completed 4 between Thanksgiving and Christmas...how, it’s a bit of a mystery.
Sunday afternoons mean lazy naps for some, football for others and for me it means cutting time.
I am usually rested and ready to set up my weeks sewing projects. At the end of a work day it’s easy peasy to sew a few seams here and there and by the end of the week I am ready for another Sunday afternoon cutting session.
Sign up for our weekly email!
Do you love quilting, sewing, and all things Bernina? Join us! Hear about all the goodies first - sales, specials, news, and events!